As the last of the leaves in Albany start to fall and the air grows crisp, it’s a clear sign for commercial property owners in Albany to think about the condition of their roofs. Fall is the perfect time for a thorough roof inspection, especially in a city with as rich a history and as diverse a range of commercial properties as Albany, Oregon. Here’s a quick checklist to help guide you with assistance from your friendly Albany commercial roofing contractor (that’s us!).
1. Check for Visible Damage Start with a visual inspection. Look for signs of wear and tear, such as cracked, broken, or missing shingles. Albany’s historic buildings, like those in the Monteith District, may require special attention due to their age and architectural style.
2. Inspect Gutters and Downspouts Ensure gutters and downspouts are clear of debris. Albany’s fall can fill these with leaves, impacting water drainage and potentially causing damage.
3. Examine Flashings Flashings around vents, skylights, and chimneys are critical. They should be intact and properly sealed to prevent water intrusion.
4. Assess the Roof’s Surface For flat roofs, common in many Albany commercial buildings, check for pooling water or blistering, which can indicate underlying issues.
5. Look for Signs of Mold or Rot Especially in older buildings, like those near Albany’s historic carousel, it’s important to check for mold or rot, which can compromise roof integrity.
6. Schedule a Professional Inspection While a self-check is a good start, nothing replaces a professional inspection. An experienced Albany commercial roofing contractor can identify issues you might miss.
7. Plan for Repairs or Maintenance Based on the inspection, plan any necessary repairs or maintenance. Addressing issues now can prevent more significant problems in the harsher winter months.
Contact Stutzman & Kropf Contractors
As your trusted Albany commercial roofing contractor, we at Stutzman & Kropf Contractors are committed to preserving the integrity and beauty of Albany’s commercial properties. Contact us to schedule a professional fall roof inspection and ensure your property is ready for the winter.